Monday, January 11, 2010

Oh Dramatic Bethany, where have you gone?

I feel like a nervous wreck-at this very moment there are two sides of Bethany being revealed. The first side- the dramatic, outspoken, Carpe Diem part of me! On the other hand- the side which is insecure and has no confidence what-so-ever. You might be wondering why I feel this way, and here's why. My school is going to be producing the musical "The Music Man" and boy, am I nervous! I can sing, I can act, and I can dance farely well, also-I'm a fast learner. The problem is I feel extremely nervous about getting up on stage and singing and dancing. I just have this inner fear that I will begin my audition and totally bomb it. So, I'm faced with the most important question there is- place it safe or take a risk? I could just let this great opportunity pass me by and yet again be a supporting member of the audience with opening night comes along,OR, I could audition giving myself to break through my shell and enjoy a great learning experience, whether or not I make it.

I know what you're thinking, why NOT try out? What is it going to hurt? You make it or you don't. The way I'm looking at it, auditioning can be seen this way. You know that thing you've always wanted to do- one guilty pleasure- but the only reason you've never done it is because of that gut feeling that you could be A)making a fool of yourself or B) committing a HUGE mistake! Then however, you see the people who did that one desire you wanted to do and all they reply about it is positive and zealous responses.

So now, I don't know what to do! It seems like a silly thing to stress over, I KNOW, I KNOW...but I'm just worried I'm making a huge mistake. That mistake could be not auditioning and letting it pass, or LETTING IT PASS and missing out on a great oppurtunity.

My sister who graduated years and years ago is telling me to do it. She tells me to go ahead and do it because when she was in school she never tried out and regrets it.
I'm beginning to lean more and more to the idea of just auditioning and trying my best. I will never know what will happen till it actually happens. So I just need to hope and try my best I suppose.

Any Comments? Questions? Suggestions?
Don't feel shy at all! I would be extremely grateful if to get responeses BEFORE I go and sign up for a time slot tomorrow...
Until I have more to say-(&&& trust me I will!)

Bethany Joy?



1 comment:

  1. My dear Bethers, try out!!! You can always ask to be in the chorus if you're too nervous to stand alone. And then next year you can be all big and bad and try out for a solo role.

    ReplyDelete